Wednesday 25 April 2012

3KCBWDAY3 - Knitting And Crochet Heros

Hola!
  
Wow, I can't believe it is day 3 already! The photographs other people had taken for the photography contest were really great :D I have made my nomination for the winner! :)
 
   
Todays Challenge: Your Knitting Or Crochet Hero Blog about someone in the fibre crafts who truly inspires you. There are not too many guidelines for this, it's really about introducing your readers to someone who they might not know who is an inspiration to you. It might be a family member or friend, a specific designer or writer, indie dyer or another blogger. If you are writing about a knitting designer and you have knitted some of their designs, don't forget to show them off. Remember to get permission from the owner if you wish to use another person's pictures.
 
There are many people who inspire me in terms of my knitting and crochet. I like Twinkie Chan's work, her crocheted food scarfs and the way they are constructed in pieces inspired my dice scarf and also some other designs I came up with that I hope to make in the future. Her stuff is very fun and funky and I love making my outfit fit with what I am doing that day sometimes e.g. If I am going for pizza I usually wear my pizza brooch and Twinkie Chan's Scarfs are perfect for doing that too e.g. you can wear her popcorn design to the cinema!
 
Another persons work that inspires me is Alan Dart. His toys are super, super amazing and detailed, I love Quirky (the Christmas turkey I knitted) and that was one of his designs. They all have some much character and he has a design for every season and situation which is great as again I love themeing things!
  
Jean Greenhowe is also inspirational to me, again on the toy side of my knitting and crochet. Her Garter stitch strips pattern book was particularly inspiring. The whole book is full of little toys that can be made just from garter stitch strips, something that seem very basic and pretty un-inspiring really she managed to turn into food, monsters, little cavemen, penguins etc... It is probably one of the best pattern books for beginner knitters everywhere :D
 
Annie Obaachan is also a kind of crochet hero to me to as her book 'Amigurumi Animals' was so encouraging to me to go ahead and get designing!
  
(This! and This! video also really encouraged me to just go for it with designing, and the old fashiondness of them is cool too :)
     
I wanted to mention my my nan in this post as she is one of my knitting heroes too. She died when I was still quite little but I can remember her and remember unwinding all her balls of wool (surprisingly she never got annoyed, I must have been too cute,  lol!) and I still have the toys she knitted for me when I was a baby:
   
 
Sometimes I think about the knitting related conversations we could have had now and wonder what she would say about my designs and ideas.... :-)

My mum said that both her nans knitted/crocheted too (my great nans, I used to have a blanket made by one of them :) and my mum knitted and sewed quite alot when she was younger too and made lots of cool costumes for school plays etc... so they are all inspirational to me really! I like the idea of following in all their crafty footsteps :)
As you can see there are quite a few people who inspire me and no doubt my list will continue to grow as my knitting and crochet journey continues.
  
See you all tomorrow,
 
Bye XxX

5 comments:

  1. I love your choice of heroes - your nan's cute softies are lovely, it must be nice to have that to hold on to. have a knitty wednesday xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Jordan and great choice of heroes! Your Nan's knitted toys are fantastic, your crafty talents must be hereditary! Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great when you come from a long line of crafters. Jemima Puddleduck is beautiful. Happy Crafting. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. HiVicki: Thank you very much :) It is I really love them and the memories they bring back :-) you too! xxx

    Chacuer's Aunty: Thanks :0) Hehhe I'm sure my nan would be blushing with all these nice comments! :) xxx

    Kerryp77: Yes, lots of people to get help with with any crafty problems! I love her too :-) You too! XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. awwwwwwwwwwwwww Jemima Puddle Duck love it :)

    sorry havent commented in ages, have been so busy with school

    currently knitting: Alan dart's May day Mouse, she needs an arm, and feet. It's taking me ages. I'm not as dedicated as you.

    talk later :) xxx miss chatting so we will chat when I get time :)

    ReplyDelete

Please do share your thoughts or ask any questions. I always reply, Promise! :)